UK: S&N brings Baltika brewing to UK
Scottish & Newcastle is to start brewing Baltika in the UK.
The company, which jointly owns Baltika with Carlsberg through Baltic Beverages Holding, said yesterday (12 April) that it has signed a license agreement to brew the Baltika No.3 Classicheskoye beer brand in the UK. The agreement is valid until the end of 2021.
Beginning next month, Baltika No.3, Russia's number one beer brand, will be produced and filled in 0.33-litre glass bottles at S&N's Camerons Brewery in Hartlepool in the UK. The brand, which is already on limited availability in the UK, will see its distribution increased from 500 on-trade outlets currently to around 2,800 by the end of this year. At the same time, off-trade distribution will be developed, the company says, to include around 1,500 retail outlets.
"The start of licensed production in Western Europe of Baltika, one of Russia's most popular brands, is a natural step in the process of integrating Russia into the world economy," said Anton Artemiev, the president of Baltika Breweries.
The two companies are hoping to sell in the region of 1m litres of Baltika No.3 in the UK this year.
Regular shipments of Baltika beer to the UK began in 2003.
The earlier-than-expected departure of Tony Froggatt as CEO of brewing force S&N has set the City rumour-mill churning. The brewer insists the move is a planned succession but, Chris Brook-Carter writ...
Baltika Breweries has launched a new beer to its Kupecheskoye brand....
Carlsberg has played down its previous strategy to become the largest Asian brewery in terms of output capacity by 2010, according to local reports....
Carlsberg has launched a new high alcohol beer from its Celarevo brewery, making it the strongest beer available in the Serbian market....
Unicer is consolidating its position in its domestic market by closing one of its three breweries in Portugal....
Carlsberg and South Asia Breweries have announced the appointed a new managing director for the company's operations in the Indian market....
Carlsberg has confirmed its acquisition of Parag breweries in Kolkata and declared plans to become the leader in India's domestic premium beer market....
Carlsberg is pondering an investment in Indian football, according to local reports....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014