UK: S&N brewery closures announced - report
Scottish & Newcastle is to close two breweries, according to press reports. The Financial Times reported yesterday that the brewer had chosen two of its five UK breweries for closure. The paper did not cite sources for the story.
Britain's biggest brewer will close its breweries in Edinburgh and Newcastle, the paper claims. The FT also says that senior S&N executives are due to meet union officials today to confirm their plans for the breweries. Around 200 jobs would be lost in each city if the closures go ahead.
The closures have been rumoured recently, as S&N looks to cut costs. Last month, according to the FT, Credit Suisse First Boston estimated that the closure of one brewery could add £25m to S&N's annual profits.
When contacted by just-drinks, the company declined to comment on the report.
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites