PORTUGAL: S&N arm eyes Compal struggle
Central de Cervejas has voiced its interest in Portuguese soft drinks group Compal.
The Portuguese arm of Scottish & Newcastle, which leads the country's beer market with the Sagres brand, is closely watching Compal, in which soft drinks group Sumolis holds a 20% stake. The remaining 80% is held by banking giant Caixa Geral de Depositos (CGD).
Sumolis and CGD held talks earlier this year about Compal's share structure, although no agreement had been reached about Compal's future.
Speaking to just-drinks on Friday (3 November), Central de Cervejas' CEO, Alberto da Ponte, said: "Compal can be the third leg of Central de Cervejas." Da Ponte is keen to bring Compal into the Central stable to join Sagres beer and mineral water brand Luso.
"Until now CGD and Sumolis didn't show real interest to sell," he added. "We need two to go to the ballroom."
Compal operates not only in the fruit juice sector, but also in mineral water with its Freeze brand.
Sumolis holds the local PepsiCo franchise and also owns brands including Sumol soft drinks, Serra da Estrela mineral water and Tagus beer.
PepsiCo is claiming that its Diet Pepsi brand has "more cola taste" than Diet Coke in its latest advertising campaign....
PepsiCo's chairman Steve Reinemund retired today (2 May). The company's CEO Indra K. Nooyi assumes the title of chairman....
PepsiAmericas has issued details of its Q1 dividend payments....
PepsiCo has posted an impressive lift in earnings for the first quarter of this year....
PepsiAmericas has posted a set of Q1 results driven by higher volumes in the US and Central Europe....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has posted a reasonably flat start to 2007....
Cott Corp. is rumoured to be in talks with private equity firms to merge with the beverage arm of Cadbury Schweppes....
PepsiCo has appointed a new president for its Gatorade business....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review