UPDATE: S&N and Carlsberg head for legal battle
UK-based brewing group Scottish and Newcastle has officially initiated legal proceedings against Carlsberg over the latter's alleged breach of a shareholders' agreement regarding the two companies' 50/50 joint venture Baltic Beverages Holding (BBH).
S&N had suggested that it believed Carlsberg's joint bid for S&N with Heineken represented an effective breach of the confidential shareholder agreement, which would allow S&N to launch a counter-bid for Carlsberg's share in the fast-growing Russian beer company.
In a regulatory announcement to the London Stock Exchange this morning (31 Oct), S&N confirmed that it had given notice to Carlsberg of alleged breaches by Carlsberg of the terms of the BBH Shareholders' Agreement.
"The board of Scottish & Newcastle has today initiated formal arbitration proceedings in accordance with the Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce as provided for under the terms of the agreement," the announcement stated. "The Arbitral Tribunal will be requested to confirm the breaches of the agreement by Carlsberg and to confirm that Carlsberg is obliged to offer its shares to S&N in accordance with the agreement."
In response, Carlsberg said there was "no foundation to S&N's misguided claims". Carlsberg also warned that such arbitration proceedings in Sweden typically take in excess of 12 months. The Danish brewer said it was reserving its position with regard to a possible claim for material damages.
"S&N's legal claims are spurious, without merit and a distraction to advancing discussions on the 720p proposal the consortium made to S&N on 25 October," said Carlsberg CEO Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen.
Last week, Carlsberg and Heineken announced a GBP6.8bn bid for S&N which the brewer quickly rebuffed as "derisory". Analysts have suggested that S&N shareholders can expect that offer price to rise, particularly as it possibly undervalues the BBH share.
Meanwhile, doubts had been expressed by some over the strength of S&N's case and whether the company would take the issue to court, with others seeing it as part of a defence strategy and a possible means of pushing up the offer price.
Matthew Webb, analyst at Cazenove, said that today's move represented "an intensification" of the company's defence strategy and provided further evidence of S&N's confidence in its legal position.
Scottish & Newcastle faces a tough battle to defend itself from the joint takeover launched by Carlsberg and Heineken. But today’s announcement of a legal challenge to Carlsberg over alleged breac...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
PepsiCo has posted a lift in sales and profits for its first quarter, despite a softening of volumes in North America....
Fortune Brands has posted sliding sales and operating income for its first quarter, as the poor economic climate in the US hit home product sales....
Scottish & Newcastle is set to cease to exist at the end of this week....
Kronenbourg has said that it is looking to re-conquer the ailing French beer market by increasing its share in the country's HORECA sector....
Bottled water has increased markedly in popularity across Europe due to consumers being more health conscious, according to an industry analysis....
InBev has confirmed that it is to up its presence in India, with the securing of a brewing deal in the south-western state of Karnataka....
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research