UPDATE: UK: Smirnoff to get ‘Signature’ global promo push
The company, which unveiled a multi-platform global campaign for the vodka yesterday (9 April), is looking to "celebrate Smirnoff's Russian heritage". Speaking to just-drinks today, Smirnoff's global brand manager, Philip Gladman, said that Diageo hopes to tap in to consumers' growing keenness to understand where the brand comes from.
"A lot of people don't know where Smirnoff comes from," Gladman said. "More people today want to understand what brands stand for. They're much more interested in the stories behind the brands."
Gladman said he hoped the campaign, which will run for "the best part of a year", would emphasise the "heritage and authenticity" of Smirnoff.
Turning to Pernod Ricard's announcement, also this week, that it has lined up a new advertising campaign in the US for its Stolichnaya vodka, Gladman looked to play down any link. "It's purely coincidental," he said. "We stand for two different parts of Russia. I don't think we're entering a race."
The Smirnoff campaign, entitled 'Signature', began its run yesterday in Ireland, with a global roll-out in July, and includes a television advert, outdoor ads and a website. The television commercial will air as two 30-second spots, with a 60-second version airing in cinemas.
Pernod Ricard-owned Bourbon brand Wild Turkey has launched a new limited edition offering called Wild Turkey American Spirit....
The super-premium vodka brand Akvinta is being launched in the UK market through the drinks firm Wine & Spirit International....
Pernod Ricard has confirmed its plans to bid for Swedish drinks company Vin & Sprit, but added that its recent decision to up the limit of its fund raising has been a decision "independent" of any for...
Constellation Brands has posted a healthy rise in Q2 profits, despite a marked dip in sales....
Russian Standard is investing EUR4m (US$5.6m) in launching its vodka brands in France....
The Swedish government is keen to progress with its privatisation of state-owned Vin & Sprit, despite the resignation of two key officials in the process earlier this week....
Diageo has been granted approval by Europe's highest court to continue selling its spirits in bottles using UK measurements....
Diageo has lined up a fresh advertising campaign in the US for its Guinness beer brand....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- US on-premise at "new normal" - research
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review