US: Smirnoff Ice under fire for "confusing" ingredients
Smirnoff Ice, the successful RTD, has come under attack in the US for misleading consumers over its contents.
The advertising, labels and packaging of the drink are being referred to US authorities after a competitor complained consumers were being led to believe the drink contained the parent brand Smirnoff vodka in it.
While Smirnoff Ice does contain vodka in its European markets, it is a malt-based beverage in the US, because of tax laws on spirits.
According to US pres reports, the issue has bee referred to the Federal Trade Comission and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firemarms, following a complaint by Mark Anthony International, a Canadian company that makes Mike's Hard Lemonade, another malt based beverage.
The complaint stems from the use of the Smirnoff parent brand to sell Smirnoff Ice, which Anthony says was was confusing consumers into expecting Smirnoff vodka to be an ingredient in Smirnoff Ice when it contains no vodka.
Diageo, the owners of the Smirnoff brand have declined to take part in the review of the complaint, according to the reports, saying that the organization had no jurisdiction because the Smirnoff Ice label had already been approved by the federal alcohol bureau.
"We don't have an issue with that,'' said Gary Galanis, a spokesman for Guinness UDV, adding: ''Clearly, Smirnoff Ice is a malt beverage. It says so on our bottle."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Brown-Forman's Q1 performance by region, brand
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- ASA bans Diageo's Captain Morgan UK ad
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Staying in the Mix: The Global Concentrates Market in 2016