JAPAN: Slow happoshu sales hit Asahi
Asahi Breweries today (4 August) posted a fall in half-year profits as sales of happoshu beer missed targets.
Asahi, which last month lost the top spot in Japan's beer market to Kirin, saw operating income fall 7.1% to JPY28.6bn (US$250.3m). Net sales inched up 1.2% to JPY664.4bn.
The brewer cut its full-year forecast for beer volumes from a rise of 3.4% to 1.4%. "We had struggled with happoshu more than we expected," Yoshihiro Goto, Asahi's senior managing director, told local reporters. "We will aggressively market new products in the second half."
This week, Asahi said it would expand its stable of 'third-category' beers with the launch of Asahi Gokuuma in October.
"With the launch of new drinks, the company will be able to gain sales volume for sure," Nomura Securities analyst Yoshiyasu Okihira told Reuters. "The key is how to balance that and an increase in costs."
The century-old rivalry between Anheuser-Busch and Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar took an unexpected twist earlier this week when the two brewers signed an import deal for the US market. However, des...
Kirin Beverage Corp. is targeting a healthy rise in soft drink sales in Japan this year, according to local reports....
Asahi has managed to hold on to the top spot in the Japanese beer market, despite a dip in sales volumes, according to local reports....
Kirin Brewery Co. has forecast a healthy rise in sales for this year....
The holding company for the Ricard family and the Dutch finance arm of Japanese brewer Kirin have upped their joint stake in Pernod Ricard....
Kirin Brewery Co. is set to launch a flagship mainstream beer brand, according to reports in Japan....
Kirin Brewery Co. is aiming to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years by focusing on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses....
Japanese beer maker Kirin Brewery Co. is to buy a 25% stake in China's Hangzhou Qiandaohu Brewery Co. in a deal worth JPY4.5bn (US$38.1m)....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research