GERMANY: Six more brewers found guilty in price-fixing probe
The FCO has handed out fines totalling EUR338m to 11 companies
Germany’s Federal Cartel Office (FCO) has handed out another EUR231.2m (US$318.9m) of fines to six more brewers in the country over alleged price fixing.
In a statement today (2 April), the authority named the brewers found guilty of "illegal price fixing agreements" as Carlsberg, Radeberger, Bolten, Erzquell, Buffet and Gaff. The Association of Rhine-Westphalian Breweries and seven individuals were also fined.
The case relates to an alleged cartel that was being run in Germany’s beer sector between 2006 and 2008. Five other brewers - Bitburger, Krombacher, Veltins, Warsteiner and Barre - were given fines, totalling EU106.5m, in January.
In the latest decision, the FCO said the “majority” of the fine will be paid by Radeberger and Carlsberg. The Danish brewer revealed its fine is EUR62m.
Andreas Mundt, the FCO’s president said: “The manufacturers are concerned for more than half of the beer sold in Germany. Industry turnover is well over EUR7bn per year. In view of these sales, the high fines are appropriate and necessary in order to achieve an effective punishment.”
Carlsberg said it will appeal the decision. In a statement, the company said: “We do not agree with the conclusions or findings by the Federal Cartel Office and Carlsberg Deutschland will accordingly appeal the decision to the relevant German Court.”
The initial investigation was triggered by an “application for leniency” filed by Anheuser-Busch InBev's German unit. As a result, A-B InBev has not been fined.
The German Beer, Cider & Pre-mixed Spirits Market: What Consumers Drink and Why?
This report provides the results for the Beer, Cider & Pre-mixed Spirits market in Germany from Canadean’s unique, highly detailed study of consumers’ Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits,...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Carlsberg A/S - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The roller-coaster ride at the Guinness innovation department continues. ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
Anheuser-Busch InBev’s deep geographical presence and extensive brand portfolio should make the company less susceptible to competitive challenges on a global platform. However, a more in-depth assess...
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research