CHINA: Sipsmith launches gin in China
UK microdistiller Sipsmith is seeking to develop and capitalise on the niche market for super-premium gin in China.
The company's namesake gin was officially launched in China last month and will be sold as a super-premium spirit across selected bars, restaurants and hotels, as well as some off-trade outlets. Against the likes of Pernod Ricard's Beefeater and Diageo's Tanqueray, Sipsmith is a niche player in the global gin market, but the London-based distiller believes it can benefit by getting ahead of the curve in China.
Simon Disler, director at Sipsmith's Chinese importer, Drinks99, concedes that gin is "practically unknown" in China. He told just-drinks today (5 March) that a lot of education is required. "Whereas in London, Sipsmith sells itself based on its ... story, in China, we are spending a lot of time explaining what gin is," he said.
However, Disler added: "Volume-wise, the Chinese bought almost 600,000 bottles of gin in 2006, and that figure is set to double by 2014. So, if we can grab 10% of that market share, we’ll be happy; remembering that we are aiming for the top 10%."
Sipsmith has chosen China ahead of the US market and Disler referenced China's growing economic prominence. "I think," he argued, "the question should be “why would anyone choose anywhere other than China to launch an alcohol?”"
For now, Sipsmith will seek to get a toehold in Shanghai's high-end spirits market. "If you present something to a modern Chinese drinker, that is different, exclusive and premium, they are very keen to sample it," said Disler.
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends