PHILIPPINES: Sin tax reduced to speed progress
Lawmakers in the Philippines are to endorse a lesser version of the proposed "sin tax" bill. A congressman said yesterday that the tax increase on cigarettes and liquor will be lower than originally planned, to avoid an extended debate in the country's Congress.
The Department of Finance was pushing for a 30% hike next year in tobacco and alcohol tax rates, and indexing their future to inflation. The increase was expected to raise PHP14 bln a year, to help bridge the fiscal deficit and balance the budget in six years.
But the version passed by the House of Representatives' ways and means committee, which will still be debated in Congress, proposes a 20% increase in 2005 and 3% more in 2006 and in 2007. It is expected to raise PHP25.5 bln over three years.
After the bill gets through the House of Representatives, it will be sent to the Senate, which could either adopt the measure or pass its own version. A final version of the bill will have to be determined by a joint committee of the House and the Senate.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research