SOUTH AFRICA: Simonsig patriarch dies on birthday
Patriarch of the Simonsig Estate, Frans Malan, passed away at his Stellenbosch home on Saturday, the day after celebrating his 75th birthday with friends and family. Malan was an innovative, no-nonsense winemaker who, in 1971, produced the country's first Méthode Champenoise sparkling wine known as Kaapse Vonkel (Cape Bubbly) and in the same year became one of three founder members of the highly successful Stellenbosch Wine Route, one of South Africa's top tourist attractions.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row