SOUTH AFRICA: Shultz lands deal with Virgin for Distell
The UK's Virgin Wines and Distell have signed a multi-million Rand deal whereby the South African producer will create an exclusive wine brand for the online retailer.
Linley Schultz, Distell's recently appointed group winemaker tailored the range called Stone Gables specifically for Virgin and initially includes a Sauvignon Blanc, a Chardonnay, a Shiraz and a Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot blend. The reds will sell at £6.99 and the whites at £5.99.
Virgin, which is two years old has positioned itself in the highly competitive distance-selling wine market and as part of its goal to achieve international representation, it has secured a strategic partnership with on-line retailer amazon.com to run its online wine retail service in the UK.
South African wines sold by Virgin last year amounted to 10% of its 150,000 case turnover. This figure is expected to go up to between 12 and 15% of an expected 300 000 cases this year, according to information received from Distell.
According Distell marketer Peter Hafner, Virgin was looking for a South African supplier to provide a quality volume brand to suit its customer profile.
"We created the range in close concert with its buying team, focussing on the selection of wines, their taste profiles, the brand name and labelling," said Hafner.
Lee Middleton, buying director at Virgin said his team were familiar with Linley Shultz and the ranges he evolved while working in the UK several years ago and were keen to work with Distell when they heard he had joined their ranks.
An initial order of 4 000 cases of Stone Gables will be dispatched to the UK market. From July, the four wines will be included in a case lot offered to Virgin Club members, together with another four top flight wines from the Distell stable, including Tukulu. Tukulu is a west coast wine farm in which the Stellenbosch wine and spirits giant has shares, together with black empowerment partners. The total number of cases for the initial project will be 7 500 cases.
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China