UK: SHS Drinks ditches Cuvana as Dead Crow gets "spirit-beer" nod
Click through to view the expanded Dead Crow stable
SHS Drinks has dropped the rum-flavoured Cuvana beer and brought it under an expanded Dead Crow brand as it targets the so-called “spirit-beer” category in the UK.
The move, announced today (17 April), sees the Bourbon-flavoured Dead Crow add a rum variant to its stable as Cuvana is phased out. The two flavours have been repackaged in a Dead Crow redesign and will be supported by a marketing campaign, SHS said.
“The two initial flavours have proved to be popular - hence our retaining both variants - but consumer feedback over the past 15 months has shown Dead Crow to be a striking, distinctive, memorable and highly compelling brand proposition," Mark Hopper, head of innovation & brand development at SHS Drinks, said. "We have, therefore, taken the decision at this stage to move forward with Dead Crow.”
The 5.5% abv beers will roll out from the middle of this month, with UK on-pack promotions expected to appear later in the year.
Dead Crow and Cuvana were released in January last year to take on the UK's spirit-beer category leader, Heineken's Tequila-flavoured Desperados. Since then, Anheuser-Busch InBev has also entered the category, with last month's unveiling of the rum-flavoured Cubanisto.
SHS said its two lines have generated GBP1.2m (US$2m) in sales in a category estimated to be worth around GBP123m in annual sales.
“Our own forecasts support predictions that sales will reach around GBP400m within the next two years,” Hopper said.
To read a comment on spirit-beer in the UK, and similar “near-beer” products in the US, click here.
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits