UK: Shepherd Neame launches Ashes campaign
UK brewer Shepherd Neame has launched a campaign of cricket adverts for its Spitfire Premium Kentish Ale brand, in the midst of a torrid start to the Ashes series for the England team in Australia.
Shepherd described the series of adverts as "witty" and "tongue-and-cheek", playing on the international rivalry already in place.
The Australian cricket team has won the first two tests of the five game series, in Brisbane and Adelaide, putting them in a good position to regain the Ashes.
Using wartime references, the Spitfire ads use straplines including 'Missing in Action' and 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Ponting? (If you think old England's done)'.
Sales and marketing director, Graeme Craig, said: "Spitfire enjoys a long-standing association with first class cricket and the Ashes are one of the most anticipated events of the sporting calendar.
"These tailor-made strips follow the success of previous adverts for the Boat Race, Grand National, London Marathon and the World Cup and are part of our ongoing investment in the Spitfire brand."
The adverts will feature on the sports pages of London newspaper the Evening Standard throughout the Ashes campaign.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research