US: Senator vows to “stop” Busch takeover
Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill said she would do everything possible to "stop the sale" of Anheuser-Busch to rival brewer InBev NV, according to reports.
Speaking with reporters after a meeting with senior officials of InBev yesterday (17 June), McCaskill said she was "unaware if Anheuser-Busch investor Warren Buffett has endorsed InBev's plan to buy Anheuser-Busch for US$65 a share, or about $46.3bn", reported Reuters.
She said that the jobs and pension plans of workers now employed at Anheuser-Busch's operations in Missouri was a "concern" to her.
InBev would not confirm details when contacted by just-drinks today, but said: "There has been a meeting with decision makers and it is important to listen to concerns."
According to European press reports yesterday, Warren Buffett, a 4.9% stakeholder in A-B, is believed to be in favour of InBev's bid.
The daily De Standaard cited unnamed sources as saying the investor and Anheuser shareholder is backing the Belgian bid.
It is understood that Buffett is planning to speak this week with A-B president and CEO August Busch IV about the offer.
Lotte Group is taking part in the bidding process for the spirits-making division of Doosan Corp, reports said Friday (12 December)....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Newly formed super brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it has sold more than 99% of shares issued to raise funds for its US$52bn merger....
Anheuser-Busch InBev is to cut around 1,400 jobs in the US as part of the newly merged group's integration plan....
Newly formed brewing giant Anheuser-Busch InBev may look to sell off its Budweiser Stag Brewery as part of a restructuring progamme in the UK, analysts believe....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has confirmed that it has begun looking to restructure its operations in the UK....
Tsingtao Brewery is looking to up its presence in the central Chinese province of Hubei, with the construction of a new production facility, according to local reports....
Job cuts are looming for employees of new super brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev in the UK, according to a report....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US