UK: Scottish & Newcastle silent on solo bid for BBH
Scottish & Newcastle has refused to rule out reports it is considering funding a solo bid for Carlsberg's stake in Baltic Beverages Holding, the Eastern European joint venture between the two brewers.
Speaking to just-drinks today (29 October) about the possibility of such a move, a spokesperson for S&N said: "All options remain open to the company."
The comments follow hostile efforts by Carlsberg and Heineken to takeover and break-up S&N.
The UK-based brewer also declined to comment over recent press speculation suggesting that it would also borrow against the future cashflow of BBH.
Last week, S&N claimed that it is now in a position to take full control of BBH, despite Carlsberg stating that a letter it has received from S&N alleging breaches of the shareholders agreement which governs BBH, has "no merit". S&N, however, believes that Carlsberg is now "obliged to offer its shares in BBH to S&N".
The brewer recently received - and rejected - what it called "a highly conditional proposal" from the Carlsberg and Heineken, to make a cash offer for S&N at 720 pence per share. The offer values S&N in the region of GBP6.8bn (US$13.8bn).
Scottish & Newcastle faces a tough battle to defend itself from the joint takeover launched by Carlsberg and Heineken. But today’s announcement of a legal challenge to Carlsberg over alleged breac...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
PepsiCo has posted a lift in sales and profits for its first quarter, despite a softening of volumes in North America....
Fortune Brands has posted sliding sales and operating income for its first quarter, as the poor economic climate in the US hit home product sales....
Scottish & Newcastle is set to cease to exist at the end of this week....
Kronenbourg has said that it is looking to re-conquer the ailing French beer market by increasing its share in the country's HORECA sector....
Bottled water has increased markedly in popularity across Europe due to consumers being more health conscious, according to an industry analysis....
InBev has confirmed that it is to up its presence in India, with the securing of a brewing deal in the south-western state of Karnataka....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- ASA bans Diageo's Captain Morgan UK ad
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review