UK: Scottish & Newcastle silent on solo bid for BBH
Scottish & Newcastle has refused to rule out reports it is considering funding a solo bid for Carlsberg's stake in Baltic Beverages Holding, the Eastern European joint venture between the two brewers.
Speaking to just-drinks today (29 October) about the possibility of such a move, a spokesperson for S&N said: "All options remain open to the company."
The comments follow hostile efforts by Carlsberg and Heineken to takeover and break-up S&N.
The UK-based brewer also declined to comment over recent press speculation suggesting that it would also borrow against the future cashflow of BBH.
Last week, S&N claimed that it is now in a position to take full control of BBH, despite Carlsberg stating that a letter it has received from S&N alleging breaches of the shareholders agreement which governs BBH, has "no merit". S&N, however, believes that Carlsberg is now "obliged to offer its shares in BBH to S&N".
The brewer recently received - and rejected - what it called "a highly conditional proposal" from the Carlsberg and Heineken, to make a cash offer for S&N at 720 pence per share. The offer values S&N in the region of GBP6.8bn (US$13.8bn).
Scottish & Newcastle faces a tough battle to defend itself from the joint takeover launched by Carlsberg and Heineken. But today’s announcement of a legal challenge to Carlsberg over alleged breac...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
PepsiCo has posted a lift in sales and profits for its first quarter, despite a softening of volumes in North America....
Fortune Brands has posted sliding sales and operating income for its first quarter, as the poor economic climate in the US hit home product sales....
Scottish & Newcastle is set to cease to exist at the end of this week....
Kronenbourg has said that it is looking to re-conquer the ailing French beer market by increasing its share in the country's HORECA sector....
Bottled water has increased markedly in popularity across Europe due to consumers being more health conscious, according to an industry analysis....
InBev has confirmed that it is to up its presence in India, with the securing of a brewing deal in the south-western state of Karnataka....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future