UK: Scottish & Newcastle sells Belgian cider unit
Scottish & Newcastle has sold Belgium-based Stassen ciders back to the family that originally sold the company.
The UK brewer confirmed to just-drinks today (22 January) that the Stassen family has acquired the company for an undisclosed sum. S.A. Stassen was sold to H.P.Bulmer in 1992, with Bulmer being bought by S&N in 2003.
"It's a tiny part of the business," the S&N spokesperson said. "Our main cider business is in Hereford (in the UK)." The spokesperson likened the sale to the divestment of T&R Theakston in the UK in 2003. "They bought the name, but our contracts with them remain in place," he said.
Last year, the company, directed by Philippe Stassen since July 2003, employed 75 people and produced 25m litres including 20m litres of cider, which represented an increase of more than 20% compared to 2006. The company has an annual turnover in the region of EUR25m (US$36.4m).
S&N remains in talks with Carlsberg and Heineken over a possible takeover by the two European brewers. The UK Takeover Panel has set a deadline for this Thursday (24 January) for a formal bid to be submitted.
The Asia Pacific region is home to some of the world's largest spirits producers though many of them are focused predominantly on their domestic markets. Others, however, are expanding their internati...
Pernod Ricard has been set a selection of hoops to jump through ahead of the closure of its acquisition of Vin & Sprit....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Molson Coors has confirmed an addition to its board of directors....
The Coca-Cola Co. has confirmed details of its latest dividend and the election of two new officers....
Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) has introduced the German vodka brand Wodka Gorbatschow to the Indian market....
Anglo Drinks is unveiling four pre-mixed alcoholic drinks, under the brand name Crystal Camel....
Maxxium UK is launching an Absolut Vodka summer gift pack for the UK market....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- China to axe duty on Australian wine
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls out of LWF 2015
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research