UK: Scottish & Newcastle rating cut on unlikely Carlsberg bid
Scottish & Newcastle has had its share coverage downgraded, due to a potential takeover bid from Carlsberg now seeming "unlikely".
Merrill Lynch today (13 September) lowered its rating for the UK-based brewer to 'neutral' from 'buy'. The broker was reacting to comments made earlier this week by Carlsberg's CFO and deputy CEO, Jorn Jensen, who suggested that he has not yet seen a solid business case for a move to buy S&N.
In May, Carlsberg amended its charter, allowing leading shareholder the Carlsberg Foundation to dilute its stake in the brewer, whilst maintaining control of voting rights. The Foundation currently holds 51.3% share capital but will lower this to 25%, thereby freeing up around DKK45bn (US$8.23bn) in new capital.
Merrill also said that Jensen had emphasised that the charter switch had nothing to do with a potential bid for S&N, and that discussions to change its structure had been initiated years ago.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Maxxium has announced two appointments to its global travel retail team in the Nordic region....
Cobra Beer has appointed another former Beam Global Spirits & Wine employee, this time to fill the newly-created role of on-trade channel controller....
The proposed acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle by joint bidders Heineken and Carlsberg has raised anti-trust issue concerns following a referral from the Irish Competition Authority to the European ...
H. Weston & Sons has unveiled a new innovation for the on-trade cider category in the UK....
Southern Wine & Spirits of America has been granted a permit to operate in the US state of Texas....
Molson Coors has confirmed a number of executive changes at its Coors Brewers subsidiary in the UK....
Share coverage of C&C Group has been cut, despite the introduction this week of a draft version of the Irish company's Magners cider brand in the UK....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report