COMMENT: Scottish & Newcastle play Nike at legal game
The "no nonsense" football advert for John Smith's bitter in the UK follows the hot new trend of ambush marketing. However, one of the original practitioners of the art, Nike, believes the beer adverts are ambushing its own brand - and is now threatening legal action. Having let the genie out of the box, Nike will find itself powerless to avoid being ambushed itself. 'Ambush' marketing, the practice of making adverts that associate the product with a prestigious event, cause or company where no such official association exists, has become increasingly popular in recent years. For much less than the cost of official sponsorship, companies can reap the benefits.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends