UK: Scottish & Newcastle faces strike action - report
Scottish & Newcastle is reportedly facing the threat of industrial action following the brewer's recently announced plans to close a bottling plant in the UK.
Last month, S&N confirmed that it was in talks with employees over the closure of its bottling plant at its brewery in Reading, which it described as being "under-utilised".
"We are now undertaking a period of local consultation with employee representatives prior to finalising a decision," the company said at the time. "If the proposal is implemented, the majority of the remaining Berkshire bottling work will be transferred to other S&N sites."
But a report in the Guardian over the weekend said that the trade union Unite is looking to prepare a ballot for nationwide industrial action against the brewer. National organiser Brian Revell was cited in the piece as saying that S&N's plans "involved outsourcing at an unprecedented scale".
When contacted by just-drinks today (3 December), a spokesperson for S&N declined to comment on the report, but highlighted what the company said last month, that "until the consultation process has been completed, and any decisions confirmed, it is not possible to say exactly what effect this review will have on jobs at the Berkshire Brewery site".
No-one was immediately available for comment at Unite when contacted by just-drinks today.
The proposed closure is part of a targeted cost saving by S&N of around GBP20m (US$41.3m). The company has also entered a production and packaging agreement with Coors UK, whereby S&N will outsource up to 3m hectolitres of on-trade volume.
The head of Pernod Ricard has suggested that the French group may look to acquire extra vines or wines in the Champagne region going forward....
Carlsberg is examining all options following the Scottish & Newcastle deal, but has not yet made any decisions on European brewery closures....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Consumer trends are turning towards "greener" drinks products and a demand for a broader array of drinks, according to recent research....
The prospective head of Pernod Ricard has warned that there could be a reduction in the number of flavoured editions of the Absolut vodka brand going forward....
InBev is reportedly set to team up with Kool Breweries in India....
Pernod Ricard is launching a GBP14m (US$27.6m) two-year marketing campaign in the UK for its Caribbean rum brand Malibu....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine will be promoting its Sauza Tequila brand at The Big Chill festival this August as part of its UK arm's GBP650, 000 (US$1.28m) investment in the Tequila category....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US