UK: Scottish & Newcastle bids farewell
At an extraordinary general meeting in Scotland today, shareholders voted 99.7% in favour of Carlsberg and Heineken's offer to buy the brewer for GBP8.00 per share, valuing S&N at GBP7.8bn (US$15.34bn). The decision requires further court approval, S&N said, with the final handover expected to take place on 28 April.
The decision will result in S&N's businesses in the UK and Ireland, Finland, Portugal, Belgium and India going to Heineken, with Carlsberg taking control of S&N's businesses in France, Greece, Russia, China and Vietnam.
"Though today may be an end, it is also a beginning; a new opportunity for our people across the globe - including many still based here in Scotland - to grow within a larger worldwide group," said S&N's chairman Sir Brian Stewart.
"The company may change, but Scottish & Newcastle lives on through its people."
Channel 4's Dispatches show ruffled some wine industry feathers last week, but touched on some important issues facing the sector....
The three leading bottled water brands in the UK launched the Natural Hydration Council (NHC) earlier this month. The organisation says it is not a lobby group but aims to research and promote the env...
Some of the drinks industry's biggest names are thought to be eyeing Australian group Foster's, just-drinks understands....
Global Brands has acquired the beer-brand owner Fullback (Imports) Ltd, which is based in Yorkshire. Financial details of the deal were not disclosed....
Brown-Forman has elected John D Cook to the company's board of directors. Cook is a director emeritus of McKinsey & Company, the world's leading management consulting firm....
PepsiCo's main bottling arm, The Pepsi Bottling Group, has signed a deal to acquire fellow Pepsi bottler Lane Affiliated Companies....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has announced that it is working with partners to reduce the weight of drinks cans, saving supplies and reducing its carbon footprint....
Scotch whisky group Whyte & Mackay has said its performance for the year looks "very healthy", offering more evidence that Scotch has bucked an economic downturn....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research