UK: Scottish licensing laws to be reviewed
Under the proposals, Scottish pubs and shops would be free to sell alcohol 24 hours a day and all day on Sundays.
The proposals were among some 90 recommendations made by the Nicholson committee, convened by the Scottish executive to look at alcohol-related crime, drink-related health problems and underage binge drinking. Scottish ministers and trade associations welcomed the proposals.
Among the main aims of the committee was to remove restrictions which were seen as "petty" but come down far more heavily on practices, notably in pubs and bars, which could be seen genuinely to cause anti-social behaviour and alcohol abuse.
While the committee did not directly advocate an end to "happy hours" by name, it said it should be a condition of the granting of a licence that bars or pubs did not engage in "irresponsible promotional activities" such as heavy price discounting for several hours.
The extension of opening hours was expected to have more impact on supermarkets and off licences than pubs and bars.
Scotland's Justice Minister, Cathy Jamieson, said there would now be a four-month consultation period, following which the executive would consider actual changes in the law.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends