UK: Scottish Gov't considers Scotch state of play
Representatives from Diageo and Whyte
The Scottish Parliament has held a meeting with senior members of the Scotch whisky industry today (17 March), to consider the state of the sector as well as future growth opportunities.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Diageo confirmed that the company's managing director of supply in Scotland, Bryan Donaghey, attended the meeting this morning, along with John Beard, the CEO of Whyte & Mackay, as well as a delegation from the Scotch Whisky Association.
The meeting was called and chaired by the Economy Committee of the Scottish Parliament, after a disruptive year for the Scotch whisky industry, which has seen job losses and site closures in the last 12 months.
Donaghey provided an update on Diageo's restructure programme in Scotland, while a round-table session considered the situation facing Scotch producers not only in Scotland and the UK, but also globally.
Beard's appearance this morning follows his warning last week to the parliament's health committee that Whyte & Mackay may "cease to exist" if Scotland's Government pushes ahead with plans to introduce a minimum price on alcoholic drinks.
The Economy Committee is now expected to consider the evidence from today before making recommendations to the Scottish Parliament, although there is no fixed timescale for this.
Is beer good for you? The health benefits and drawbacks of beer have long been studied and debated. But is beer good for your country? Most definitely, conclude Larry Nelson and Frank Zappa....
William Grant & Sons' UK distribution, sales and marketing unit, First Drinks, has appointed a new marketing director....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future