UK: Scottish Courage axes Hofmeister
The cull, initially in the off trade, will also include McEwan's, Kestrel and Courage Light. And although Kestrel Super and McEwan's Export would remain in the line up, Scottish Courage said it would continue to review its portfolio in the next year.
The cuts are being made in the face of falling sales as UK consumers continue to turn their backs on lower end brands in favour of more premium and often foreign lagers.
Scottish Courage said that while Hofmeister sales had plummeted to just 4,000 barrels a year, or just over 1m pints, sales of its Foster's brand had soared 30%. The reduction in the number of brands it handles will also allow it to focus more keenly on its larger products.
A spokesman for Scottish Courage said: "It's a case of falling demand and the rise of premium beers."
A revised assessment by Southcorp's independent expert has valued the company's shares closer to the bid value offered by Foster's Group....
Australian liquor giant Foster's bid for winemaker Southcorp is gathering momentum....
As one takeover story trundles on, another one has just moved up a gear....
The chief executive of Foster's believes the global premium wine industry is on the upturn....
Foster's Group Ltd is expected to announce that it is lifting its offer for fellow Australian Southcorp, transforming three months of corporate hostility into a friendly takeover....
Shares in Southcorp and Foster's have been halted from trading, pending an announcement....
Southcorp's share price has dropped below the offer price made by Foster's for the first time today (18 April)....
Foster's Group is considering upping its bid for Southcorp prior to extending its offer once again....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends