UK: Scotland set for vote on drinking age
A vote on raising the minimum age for buying alcohol in shops to 21 is set to take place in the Scottish Parliament.
A debate will take place on 2 October and will include a vote, although the result will not be binding.
The move is being seen as a symbolic victory for opponents of raising the drinking age, which is a central proposal of the ruling Scottish National Party's (SNP) strategy to tackle alcohol misuse.
Defeat looks likely for the SNP in next week's vote, with the second-largest party, Labour, joining the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats in stating its opposition.
Earlier this week, a petition containing 10,000 names was handed to Scottish MPs by the student-led Coalition Against Raising the Drinking Age in Scotland (Cardas).
Tom French, founder of the group, called the proposal a "political stunt". He told just-drinks in an interview last week that the plan "infringes on the rights of young people".
The SNP claims the measure is necessary to reduce alcohol-related crime on Scotland's streets.
The controversial Australian 'alcopops' tax has been defeated by the country's Senate this week. Michelle Russell looks at the fallout....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Anheuser-Busch InBev has successfully defended its Stella Artois advert campaign in the UK, following an official complaint to the country's advertising watchdog....
The Distilled Spirits Industry Council of Australia (DSICA) has followed Foster's Group in pledging to donate any tax refunds they receive in the country to DrinkWise Australia....
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) has released new guidance for drinks companies in the region, covering marketing on the Internet, as well as digital and mobile communications....
Australia's Foster's Group has said it intends to donate its refund from the country's collapsed RTD tax hike to alcohol and health initiatives....
Australia's tax hike on RTDs lays in tatters today (18 March), after a vote on the increase in the country's Senate....
Heineken plans to lower the abv of the former Scottish & Newcastle white cider brand White Lightning in the UK....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review