UK: Scotland rejects minimum drinks pricing, again
Minimum pricing rejected for third time in Scotland
Members of Scotland's Parliament have rejected minimum pricing for alcoholic drinks in their third and final vote on the policy.
The vote, held today (10 November), is a blow to the ruling Scottish National Party (SNP) and will be welcomed by the majority of the drinks industry. Parliament rejected minimum pricing by 76 votes to 49 in the third and final reading of the SNP's Alcohol Bill.
However, other parts of the Alcohol Bill are expected to be backed by Parliament, which was still in session on the issue at the time of writing. Other measures in the Bill include a "social responsibility levy" on drinks retailers and outlets, as well as a ban on bulk drinks offers, such as three-for-two promotions.
The CEO of the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) today congratulated the Parliament for "looking carefully at the evidence" on minimum pricing. "Now that minimum pricing has been rejected, we call on all parties to come together to build consensus around alternative, more effective, legal tax-based measures to address alcohol misuse," he said.
Scotland has the power to set its own alcohol policy, independently of the policy set by the UK Government in London.
Following on from his introduction to the woes of the PIGS markets, the first part of this month's management briefing sees Richard Woodard focus more sharply on Spain and Portugal....
In the final part of this month's management briefing, Richard Woodard rounds off his tour of the PIGS markets in Greece....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets