UK: Scotch whisky industry flags green success - study
The industry wants to achieve zero waste
The Scotch whisky industry claims to have cut greenhouse gas emissions by 10% since 2008.
The emissions drop comes despite an 11% increase in production, the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said today (16 December). The figures were revealed in the SWA's annual environmental commitment report, part of the industry's environmental strategy launched in 2009.
Scotch producers have neared a target of zero waste with only 5% of that being landfilled last year, according to the latest report. Meanwhile, renewable energy use reached 16% from 3% in 2008.
“At a time when the industry is growing its distillation capacity in Scotland, green investments are at the heart of companies’ commitments," said Julie Hesketh-Laird, the SWA's operational & technical affairs director.
"Renewables projects in-particular have caught the imagination of the Scotch whisky industry and have attracted multi-million-pound capital investment.”
The SWA has pledged that by 2020 it will ensure that 20% of the industry’s primary energy requirements will be derived from non-fossil fuel sources, with a target of 80% by 2050.
In 2010, Hesketh-Laird told just-drinks the Scotch whisky industry was “ahead of the game” compared to other drinks categories when it came to commitments to the environment.
In this, the third part of this month's management briefing into environmental sustainability in the spirits sector, Ben Cooper offers a case study of the Scotch Whisky Association's approach to the e...
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest...
Ben Cooper has stumbled upon a term that crops up time and again when it comes to sustainability....
As the Scotch whisky industry en masse breathes a long - if discreet - sigh of relief that the Scottish National Party failed to carry the day in the country's independence referendum last month, it w...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report