PANAMA: Scotch whisky gets trademark protection
Scotch whisky gets GI status in Panama
Scotch whisky distillers have a second trademark success to cheer in as many months after gaining protected name status for their products in Panama.
Authorities in Panama have agreed to recognise the geographical indication (GI) on Scotch whisky that is enshrined in European Union law, the Scotch Whisky Association said today (23 November).
The move comes on the heels of China's announcement that it, too, will recognise Scotch whisky's geographical characteristics. GI status gives Scotch whisky distillers legal protection against copycat producers.
Panama lies 20th in the league table for Scotch exports by value. But, exports rose by 150% between 2000 and 2009, when the value of shipments reached GBP42m (US$66.9m).
"It is important consumers around the world can have confidence in the quality and integrity of what they are buying," said the Scotch Whisky Association's CEO, Gavin Hewitt.
Following on from his introduction to the woes of the PIGS markets, the first part of this month's management briefing sees Richard Woodard focus more sharply on Spain and Portugal....
In the final part of this month's management briefing, Richard Woodard rounds off his tour of the PIGS markets in Greece....
Minimum pricing for alcoholic drinks is back on the political agenda in Scotland after the Scottish National Party secured an overall majority in the country's Parliament....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review