MYANMAR: Scotch whisky gets legal protection boost
Scotch will be better protected under the new system
Scotch whisky will receive better legal protection in Myanmar under new rules, while efforts to crack down on fake supplies are being stepped up.
The Scotch Whisky Association said today (11 July) that the spirit will be granted special protection as a “collective trademark” in the South-East Asian country, also known as Burma. “This will allow us to protect Scotch whisky against products illegally being sold or passed off as Scotch,” said Alan Park, the SWA's legal adviser.
He added: “Products suspected of misleading consumers and damaging the legitimate trade are already under investigation and may become the subject of legal action using the protection now given to Scotch whisky in Burma.”
Scotch Whisky exports to Myanmar last year leapt by 65% year-on-year to GBP2m (US$3.43m).
US companies - including the Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo - began operating in Myanmar again last year after the lifting of sanctions against the country. Myanmar has taken steps towards democratic reform, after being ruled by a military junta since 1962.
The company is looking to enhance its core capabilities of consumer marketing, commercial leadership, franchise leadership, and bottling and distribution operations to drive its sales growth and profi...
Coca-Cola face a challenging situation in which economic recovery is fragile in developed markets, while China and Brazil are seeing a slowdown in sales. Consumers’ desire for diverse and healthy beve...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
PepsiCo Inc continues to look to balance its beverage and snack portfolio. With beverages it seeks to both broaden its range as well as introduce more nutritious products. In terms of marketing, the c...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends