UK: Scotch whisky exports push FY record, again
Scotch whisky nine-month exports leap by 23% in value
Scotch whisky exports are on-course to register a sixth consecutive record year in value terms, following a strong showing in the first nine months of 2011.
Exports of Scotch whisky jumped by 23% for the nine months to the end of September, to GBP3bn (US$4.7bn), the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said today (2 December). Consumer demand in emerging regions, such as Latin America and Asia, combined with continued growth in the US and France to drive exports.
The figures suggest Scotch distillers are heading for a sixth consecutive year of record exports by value. In 2010, exports reached GBP3.45bn. A spokesperson for the SWA told just-drinks: "Obviously, it's hard to predict, but if growth continues at that pace then we're on-track to break the record."
She said that the association "hasn't seen any sign of a slowdown yet", despite fragile economic conditions, predominantly in Europe. For now, there is confidence in the industry that Scotch consumers are spread widely enough around the globe for the category to weather a downturn in one region.
Our whisk(e)y specialist, Ian Buxton, has had his head turned this month by a glut of flavoured whiskies. Or, 'spirit drinks', if you're a European....
The recent release of export numbers for Scotch whisky appeared to be cause to celebrate for the category. But, as Ian Buxton warns, the devil is in the detail....
The Edrington Group has confirmed a change of distillery managers at two of its whisky facilities in Scotland....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future