UK: Scotch whisky exports push FY record, again
Scotch whisky nine-month exports leap by 23% in value
Scotch whisky exports are on-course to register a sixth consecutive record year in value terms, following a strong showing in the first nine months of 2011.
Exports of Scotch whisky jumped by 23% for the nine months to the end of September, to GBP3bn (US$4.7bn), the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said today (2 December). Consumer demand in emerging regions, such as Latin America and Asia, combined with continued growth in the US and France to drive exports.
The figures suggest Scotch distillers are heading for a sixth consecutive year of record exports by value. In 2010, exports reached GBP3.45bn. A spokesperson for the SWA told just-drinks: "Obviously, it's hard to predict, but if growth continues at that pace then we're on-track to break the record."
She said that the association "hasn't seen any sign of a slowdown yet", despite fragile economic conditions, predominantly in Europe. For now, there is confidence in the industry that Scotch consumers are spread widely enough around the globe for the category to weather a downturn in one region.
Our whisk(e)y specialist, Ian Buxton, has had his head turned this month by a glut of flavoured whiskies. Or, 'spirit drinks', if you're a European....
The recent release of export numbers for Scotch whisky appeared to be cause to celebrate for the category. But, as Ian Buxton warns, the devil is in the detail....
The Edrington Group has confirmed a change of distillery managers at two of its whisky facilities in Scotland....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research