GLOBAL: Scotch whisky exports jump in H1 - figures
- Exports up 17% in value
- Volumes up 3%
- Industry claws back lost ground
Scotch Whisky Association pleased with H1
Scotch whisky exports rose by 17% in value in the first half of 2010, led by rebounding consumer demand in key markets.
Exports of Scotch whisky reached GBP1.47bn (US$2.4bn) for the six months to the end of June, the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said today (5 November). Exports rose by 3% in volume, compared to the same period last year, to 477m bottles.
Distillers were buoyed by strong value growth in key markets, such as the US, South Africa and, to a lesser extent, France. Interest in single malt Scotch also grew, with single malt exports up by 31% to GBP242m. Exports of blended Scotch rose by 9% to GBP1.1bn. Blended malt Scotch made up the rest of the sales.
The figures show that distillers have clawed back ground from a tough first few months of 2009, when the global spirits sector in general was plagued by destocking during the economic downturn. It is unclear whether Scotch has regained all of the ground lost, because it is not known how steeply exports fell in the first quarter of 2009 and comparison figures for 2008 have not been released.
Exports will have to top GBP3bn in 2010 if the sector is to beat its previous record set in 2008.
“Scotch Whisky distillers continue quietly and consistently to deliver impressive exports in many markets," said the SWA's CEO, Gavin Hewitt.
Following on from his introduction to the woes of the PIGS markets, the first part of this month's management briefing sees Richard Woodard focus more sharply on Spain and Portugal....
In the final part of this month's management briefing, Richard Woodard rounds off his tour of the PIGS markets in Greece....
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push