UK: Scotch whisky exports grow in value, but volumes drop in 2012
Exports saw a drop in volumes last year
Export sales of Scotch whisky by value edged up to a record high last year, despite a 5% drop in volumes, according to latest figures.
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) reported today (2 April) that export sales in 2012 hit GBP4.3bn (US$6.5bn) - a year-on-year rise of 1%. The group highlighted rising international demand for premium blended Scotch and single malts.
Export volumes, however, fell from 1.26bn 70cl bottles in 2011 to 1.19bn bottles last year.
France remained the biggest importer of Scotch by volume, but unit sales dived by 25% in 2012, as excise tax rises last year led to stocking up in 2011.
The US is still the biggest Scotch market by value, the figures show, with sales up by 16% to GBP758m last year. Spain took a hit in volumes and sales and was leapfrogged by Singapore, with the Asian country now the third biggest market by value for Scotch exports.
Venezuela was among the star performer for Scotch producers, with value sales up by 23% to GBP102.2m and volumes up by 12%.
Single malt exports have risen over the last ten years by 190% to GBP778m, the SWA said. The group attributed this to "increasing consumer knowledge of Scotch whisky around the world".
Gavin Hewitt, the SWA's chief executive, said: "We are contributing massively to the Government’s wish for an export-led recovery."
He added: “There is confidence in the future of the industry, illustrated by the GBP2bn capital investment that Scotch whisky producers have committed over the next three to four years."
Click here for a look at a breakdown of the top 20 export markets in terms of value and volumes.
The results of a consultation document regarding veryfing the geographical origin and production and aging processes for Scotch whisky will be published in the coming weeks. But, asks, Ian Buxton, is ...
Earlier today (4 September), the Scotch Whisky Association released details on Scotch exports in the six months to the end of June. Here, courtesy of the trade body, is a table of the 20 largest marke...
Diageo and Pernod Ricard have teamed up with other Scotch whisky makers to start twice-weekly shipments from Speyside by train....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages