GLOBAL: Scotch whisky exports climb in 2009 – figures
Scotch exports rose in 2009, despite South Korea's best efforts
Global exports of Scotch whisky reached record levels last year, according to recent figures, despite a drag in the Asia region.
Citing HM Revenue & Customs data and individual company declarations, the Scotch Whisky Association said this morning (15 April) that total exports of Scotch were up in value terms by 3% year-on-year in 2009, to GBP3.13bn (US$4.83bn).
Export volumes increased by 4% worldwide, with the equivalent of 1.1bn 70cl bottles of Scotch shipped.
The association credited the US – up by 13% - and Brazil – with growth of 44% - as driving the industry's performance. In Asia, however, exports fell by 9% in value terms, thanks to a steep 24% drop in export values to South Korea.
The association's chairman, CEO of Diageo Paul Walsh described the performance in 2009 as “impressive”, adding: “The industry is continuing to invest and sustain its efforts to secure fair access to export markets. We look to the next UK Government to work with us to build on Scotch Whisky’s success in the future.”
We fully intend to keep an eye on how things develop here in the UK with Grupo Modelo's Corona Extra bottled beer brand....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends