GLOBAL: Scotch whisky continues inexorable export rise - figures
It's going to be another happy New Year for Scotch whisky, it would appear
Scotch whisky continues to play a “key role” in the Scottish economy, according to data released late last month.
A report commissioned by the Scotch Whisky Association, released to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the trade body last year, has found that the country's whisky industry generates annual export sales in the region of GBP4bn (US$6.5bn). This compares to refined petroleum, which brings in GBP3bn, and business services at GBP2.5bn, the report finds.
The industry also supports around 36,000 jobs across in Scotland, the report adds.
A hundred years ago, the industry employed 5,000 people in Scotland and generated GBP3m in Gross Value Added, the SWA noted.
“The report shows Scotch Whisky is likely to play an increasingly important role in Scotland’s export markets,” said the association's chief executive, Gavin Hewitt. “The momentum of growth needs to be better nurtured by both the UK and Scottish Governments. Scotch Whisky underpins their ambitions for export-led recovery.”
Market leaders Diageo and Pernod have both pledged further investment in their Scotch production facilities, as emerging markets continue to soak up supply. In June, Diageo announced a $1.55bn injection into its operations in Scotland, confirming plans to build a new distillery in the country. Pernod, meanwhile, followed its commitment in May to spend $62.2m on its facilities by applying in October to build a new distillery in Speyside.
The report was commissioned by the SWA and researched by 4-consulting.
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
Krombacher has signed a sponsorship deal with British Superbike rider Peter Hickman for an undisclosed fee....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research