ITALY: Scotch Whisky Association wins copycat dispute
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has won a long-running dispute against several copycat products in Italy.
Italy's Supreme Court has ruled in favour of the SWA in its dispute with Italian supplier Angelo Vendrame, the SWA said today (26 June).
The ruling marks the end of a legal tussle that began in the late 1980s, when imitation 'Scotch Whiskies' supplied by Vendrame were found on sale in major retailers in Italy.
The whiskies used Scottish-sounding names, such as MacQueen and Clan 55.
Some were specifically mislabelled as Scotch whisky, whilst others claimed to be produced or matured in Scotland. Vendrame set up a UK business, Alex Albright, to enhance the supposed authenticity of the brands, but this was later wound up by the authorities, the SWA said.
"Such practices left unchecked would undermine consumer confidence and the integrity of Scotch whisky," said an SWA spokesperson. "Our top priority must be to protect Scotch whisky from all forms of unfair competition."
Scotch whisky has Protected Designation of Origin status in the EU, meaning only whisky from Scotland and made to strict production rules can use the name.
Earlier this month, the SWA lost a court case against a Canadian distiller.
Like the other sectors of our industry, the economy cast a shadow over the spirits category in 2009. The aftershocks of the downturn spread around the world, with Scotland appearing to be the epicentr...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Comment Pieces of 2009....
As the decade draws to a close and just-drinks reflects on its first ten years of publication, our editorial team picks the ten stories that defined the noughties for the drinks industry and shaped ou...
A French court ruling to recognise the case of creditors due a total of EUR375m (US$535m) from struggling drinks group Belvédère will not damage the firm's relaunch plan, its lawyer has told just-drin...
Chivas Brothers has launched a print advertising campaign for its Royal Salute brand. The campaign will be launched in January 2010, initially in China and will then be rolled out through the Asian re...
Highland Park's The Earl Magnus Edition 1...
Blavod Wines & Spirits has reported strong sales growth in the first half of its fiscal year, but said profits were held back by a poor performance from its Black Vodka brand....
Ian Macleod Distillers has signed a deal for its Isle of Skye Scotch whisky to sponsor Scottish Racing....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review