CANADA: Scotch Whisky Association eyes Glen Breton appeal
Canada's Federal Court of Appeal last week upheld the right of Cape Breton-based Glenora to use the brand name for its whisky, to the dismay of distillers in Scotland.
A spokesperson for the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said today (26 January): "[We] will be studying the ruling carefully with a view to a possible appeal."
Scotch whisky is a protected geographical indication under EU law and enjoys protection in several overseas markets. Scotch makers believe that Glenora's use of the term 'Glen' wrongly implies that its product is Scotch whisky.
The SWA added of the ruling: "Given that the Court confirmed the earlier ruling that the 'Glen Breton' trademark has caused 'actual confusion in the marketplace', it is surprising the Court has decided to allow this confusion to be perpetuated."
There are circumstances when tradition and heritage are to be cherished and there are others when both can hang like dead weights around your neck....
Diageo has welcomed the acquisition of a 1% stake in the company by one of China's largest state-controlled investment groups....
Burn Stewart Distillers has almost doubled its full-year pre-tax profits, boosted by success of the company's Scottish Leader whisky brand in Taiwan and South Africa....
Kilchoman Distillery has lined up the launch of its inaugural single malt Scotch whisky for later this year....
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh has pledged that the drinks group will consider alternatives to its planned job cuts in Scotland, following a meeting with Scotland's first minister, Alex Salmond....
Scotland first minister Alex Salmond was due to meet Diageo CEO Paul Walsh today (22 July) over the drinks firm's proposed job cuts in the country....
Whisky distiller William Grant & Sons believe there is still a "huge" opportunity for online sales across its portfolio of brands in the UK....
Drinks giant Diageo last week held a meeting with the Scottish MP for Moray to discuss plans for a regeneration of the home of malt whisky....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends