CHINA: Scotch Whisky Association calls for tougher action in fake Scotch fight
The SWA has called for tougher sanctions on trade in fake Scotch in China
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has said more must still be done in China to clamp down on fake Scotch after the UK government thanked officials for policing the illegal trade.
SWA chief executive Gavin Hewitt, who has recently returned from China, said authorities have been highly cooperative in enforcing protective measures. However, he said: “Fake whisky remains an issue and we would like to see even more cooperation and stronger criminal sanctions.”
Yesterday (15 November), the UK's environment secretary, Owen Paterson, met with Chinese trading standards authorities during a trade trip to Guandong to discuss the crackdown.
“The support of the Chinese authorities in clamping down on illegal activity which cost UK companies millions of pounds is hugely important,” he said.
“I’m really pleased I’ve been able to strengthen relationships that will protect iconic brands like Scotch whisky and have been able to pass on the thanks of the Scotch Whisky Association to the Chinese authorities for their help.”
UK whisky exports to China grew from GBP54.8m (US$86.98m) to GBP66.1m between 2010 and 2011, according to UK government figures.
Last year, scientists in Scotland said they had developed a test for fake whisky that can be used 'in the field'.
The headlines today (3 May) may suggest that minimum unit pricing is on its way in Scotland. But, for those in our industry who oppose the proposal, there's no need to panic yet. There's still a way t...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
Earlier today (2 April), the Scotch Whisky Association released the Scotch export figures for 2012. Here, courtesy of the SWA, is a list of the top export markets for Scotch in 2012 by value and by vo...
The European trade organisation for spirits has said that it will appeal the legal ruling handed down this morning in favour of minimum unit pricing in Scotland....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research