CANADA: Scotch Whisky Association appeals against Glen Breton distiller
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) is to appeal a Canadian court ruling allowing a Nova Scotia distillery to call its product 'Glen Breton'.
The SWA is petitioning the Supreme Court of Canada to overturn a the Canadian Court of Appeal decision allowing Glenora Distillers, of Cape Breton, to use 'Glen' in the name of its single malt whisky.
The SWA claims this could fool consumers into thinking the product was made in Scotland or is Scotch whisky, and so should not be a registered trademark under the Canadian Trade Marks Act.
Speaking to just-drinks last night (8 June), the SWA said that it was "surprised" by the Court of Appeal's decision. The court, it said, acknowledged in January that Glen Breton has been found to cause "actual confusion in the market place".
Additional reporting by Monica Dobie.
The UK drinks industry will have to take a hit on pricing sooner or later, despite this week's reprieve in Scotland....
Pernod Ricard and Diageo's pitched battle on the fairways of world golf is hotting up....
Recent figures from drinks heavyweights Pernod Ricard and Diageo suggest that premium Scotch whisky sales are suffering in the economic dowturn....
Views on minimum pricing, off-sales discounts and raising the alcohol sales age to 21, have been called for by the Scottish Health and Sport Committee....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
BrewDog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin...
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has warned that minimum pricing will not address the issue of alcohol harm....
New Scotch whisky rules covering every aspect of the distilling, bottling and labelling have come into force this week. Here we take a look at key provisions of the new law....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends