UK: Scotch Whisky Assocation targets alcohol abuse with US$820,000 fund launch
The SWA's Scotch Whisky Action Fund will make GBP100,000 available each year from 2014 to 2018 in Scotland
Industry group the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) is investing GBP500,000 (US$820,000) in a new fund to tackle alcohol-related harm in Scotland.
The Scotch Whisky Action Fund will make GBP100,000 available each year from 2014 to 2018 to projects from charities and other organisations working to reduce alcohol-related misuse in Scotland. The aim of the fund, which will be managed by independent charity Foundation Scotland, is to support and develop projects tackling harm among under-18s, families affected by the issue and communities impacted by irresponsible drinking.
Its formation follows research commissioned by the SWA, which revealed that more work and funding was needed to develop existing initiatives and support new programmes in each of these three areas.
Under the terms of the fund, new projects can seek an award of up to GBP10,000, while existing initiatives with a proven track record can apply for up to GBP25,000.
“Alcohol is part of Scottish life and brings a range of benefits to Scotland and its economy,” said Gavin Hewitt, SWA chief executive. “But, we recognise there is a problem with alcohol misuse that has to be tackled, and we are committed to taking a central role to address misuse in this drive.”
The first deadline for applications is 31 March, and organisations interested in finding out more should visit the Foundation Scotland website here.
Hewitt, who joined the SWA in October 2003, will step down as chief executive at the end of this month, to be replaced by David Frost, the director for Europe, trade & international affairs at the Department of Business, Innovation & Skills.
So, is minimum unit pricing legal, or is it illegal? It would appear that we're going to find out once and for all....
Earlier this month, the Irish Whiskey Association came into being. Ian Buxton looks at the category and considers why it is needed and what it will do....
Earlier today (11 April), the Scotch Whisky Association released full-year export figures for the category. Here's just-drinks provides a full rundown of the top markets by value and volume and how th...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future