UK: Scotch Whisky Assocation targets alcohol abuse with US$820,000 fund launch
The SWA's Scotch Whisky Action Fund will make GBP100,000 available each year from 2014 to 2018 in Scotland
Industry group the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) is investing GBP500,000 (US$820,000) in a new fund to tackle alcohol-related harm in Scotland.
The Scotch Whisky Action Fund will make GBP100,000 available each year from 2014 to 2018 to projects from charities and other organisations working to reduce alcohol-related misuse in Scotland. The aim of the fund, which will be managed by independent charity Foundation Scotland, is to support and develop projects tackling harm among under-18s, families affected by the issue and communities impacted by irresponsible drinking.
Its formation follows research commissioned by the SWA, which revealed that more work and funding was needed to develop existing initiatives and support new programmes in each of these three areas.
Under the terms of the fund, new projects can seek an award of up to GBP10,000, while existing initiatives with a proven track record can apply for up to GBP25,000.
“Alcohol is part of Scottish life and brings a range of benefits to Scotland and its economy,” said Gavin Hewitt, SWA chief executive. “But, we recognise there is a problem with alcohol misuse that has to be tackled, and we are committed to taking a central role to address misuse in this drive.”
The first deadline for applications is 31 March, and organisations interested in finding out more should visit the Foundation Scotland website here.
Hewitt, who joined the SWA in October 2003, will step down as chief executive at the end of this month, to be replaced by David Frost, the director for Europe, trade & international affairs at the Department of Business, Innovation & Skills.
So, is minimum unit pricing legal, or is it illegal? It would appear that we're going to find out once and for all....
Earlier this month, the Irish Whiskey Association came into being. Ian Buxton looks at the category and considers why it is needed and what it will do....
Earlier today (11 April), the Scotch Whisky Association released full-year export figures for the category. Here's just-drinks provides a full rundown of the top markets by value and volume and how th...
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US