SOUTH/CENTRAL AMERICA: Scotch producers welcome LatAm trade deals
Scotch whisky is expected to get a boost from the trade deals
Scotch whisky producers are set to benefit from “fairer” market conditions in Latin America after the signing of new trade deals.
The European Union’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Colombia/Peru and its Association Agreement with Central America were ratified by the European Parliament today (11 December). The Central America Association Agreement covers Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama.
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has welcomed the moves. “We have been pushing hard in favour of these trade agreements with Central America, Peru and Colombia,” said David Williamson, the SWA's deputy director of international affairs.
“The agreements will help deliver a more predictable and level playing field for Scotch whisky producers.”
The deals include the "gradual" elimination of tariffs on EU spirits, new mechanisms to tackle discriminatory taxes and better legal protection for Scotch whisky, Williamson said.
Scotch is still a “relatively small” part of the spirits markets in Central and South America, the SWA said. But, in 2011, direct exports to the region were up by 38% year-on-year to GBP489m (US$784.7m). Exports to Peru rose by 97% to GBP18m last year and by 74% to Colombia to GBP24m.
The headlines today (3 May) may suggest that minimum unit pricing is on its way in Scotland. But, for those in our industry who oppose the proposal, there's no need to panic yet. There's still a way t...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
The European trade organisation for spirits has said that it will appeal the legal ruling handed down this morning in favour of minimum unit pricing in Scotland....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review