SOUTH/CENTRAL AMERICA: Scotch producers welcome LatAm trade deals
Scotch whisky is expected to get a boost from the trade deals
Scotch whisky producers are set to benefit from “fairer” market conditions in Latin America after the signing of new trade deals.
The European Union’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Colombia/Peru and its Association Agreement with Central America were ratified by the European Parliament today (11 December). The Central America Association Agreement covers Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama.
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has welcomed the moves. “We have been pushing hard in favour of these trade agreements with Central America, Peru and Colombia,” said David Williamson, the SWA's deputy director of international affairs.
“The agreements will help deliver a more predictable and level playing field for Scotch whisky producers.”
The deals include the "gradual" elimination of tariffs on EU spirits, new mechanisms to tackle discriminatory taxes and better legal protection for Scotch whisky, Williamson said.
Scotch is still a “relatively small” part of the spirits markets in Central and South America, the SWA said. But, in 2011, direct exports to the region were up by 38% year-on-year to GBP489m (US$784.7m). Exports to Peru rose by 97% to GBP18m last year and by 74% to Colombia to GBP24m.
The headlines today (3 May) may suggest that minimum unit pricing is on its way in Scotland. But, for those in our industry who oppose the proposal, there's no need to panic yet. There's still a way t...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
The European trade organisation for spirits has said that it will appeal the legal ruling handed down this morning in favour of minimum unit pricing in Scotland....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research