GLOBAL: Scotch exports hit record levels in 2007 - figures
Scotch whisky export value and volume reached record levels last year, according to industry figures released today (30 April).
A report from the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) showed that Scotch earned GBP90 (US$180) every second for the UK last year, with the value of shipments increasing by 14% on 2006, to reach a new record of GBP2.8bn. Export volumes grew 8%, with the equivalent of 1.14bn bottles of Scotch being shipped overseas.
Blended Scotch whisky exports broke the GBP2bn barrier for the first time, with shipment values up 15% to GBP2.22bn, while malt exports rose by 11% in value to GBP454m, said the SWA.
Exports to Central & South America were up 4% in value and, similarly, Asia saw a lift of 4.5%. Shipments to North America were up 5.5%, while the EU saw an increase of 27%.
Exports to India were boosted by 36% in value to GBP33m due to tariff reform in the country in the middle of last year. South Africa saw exports grow further, by 9% in value to GBP91m.
The situation was not all rosy, however, with exports to Australia, which represents "the vast majority of regional exports", slipping in value terms, by 2% to GBP46m.
SWA chairman, and Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, said: "(These results) demonstrate that Scotch whisky's international appeal can mitigate against individual market or regional fluctuations. Announcements of new capital investment of GBP400m across the industry last year were a public vote of confidence in Scotch whisky's prospects and are good news for the wider economy."
Walsh added: "Distillers look to Government north and south of the border to continue to work with them to support future international competitiveness, tackling barriers to market access overseas, whilst also recognising the importance of a fair tax and regulatory environment at home."
The South African whisky market grew by an estimated 16.2% in 2007 to over 3.5m cases. According to The IWSR's South Africa Wine and Spirits 2008 report, growth was largely driven by Jameson, Jack Dan...
Danone has agreed a deal to sell its Frucor Australasian drinks division to Japan's Suntory for more than EUR600m, the group has announced....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Inver House Distillers has announced a limited edition version of its Balblair Highland Single Malt Scotch whisky....
United Spirits Limited, the spirits arm of India's UB Group, has said that net profit rose by nearly 26% in its first half....
The Glenmorangie Company has completed the first phase of its proposed expansion project at its flagship distillery in Scotland....
The Glenglassaugh Distillery Company has outlined release details for its single malt Scotch whisky portfolio....
Diageo is rolling out its The Singleton of Dufftown single malt in the UK....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets