UK: Scotch exports back on track as US sales boom
Scotch is growing export sales and volumes
Scotch sales in the US have jumped by almost a third in the first half of this year as surging global whisky exports defied predictions of a slowdown, new figures have shown.
Scotch export sales in the six months to the end of June increased by 11% to come in just short of GBP2bn (US$3.12bn), the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) reported today (4 September). Volumes grew by 9% over the same period to 563m bottles, the SWA said.
In the US, Scotch's biggest market, sales soared by 29% to GBP391m in the first half of the year as mature markets recovered from a slowdown in 2012. France saw exports grow by 6% to GBP199m, while Singapore jumped by 19% to GBP174m.
However, the SWA today said that it is confident of future expansion and that money pouring in to to new facilities, such as Diageo's planned GBP50m malt whisky distillery in the Highlands, proves the industry's robust health.
“Significant new investment in the industry in Scotland by Scotch whisky producers reflects the belief that growth will be sustainable,” Gavin Hewitt, SWA's chief executive, said.
China, where anti-gifting measures have damaged spirits sales, bucked the growth trend, posting a 20% decline to GBP25m in the value of direct exports.
Other emerging markets were stronger, with Mexico becoming Scotch's ninth-biggest market as exports increased by 67% to GBP54m. Exports to Brazil grew by 42% to GBP49m and Venezuela was up 9% to GBP46m.
Meanwhile, exports to Germany jumped by 28% and to Latvia by 6%. Direct exports to Poland reached GBP20m, a 10-fold increase since 2004 when the country joined the European Union, SWA said.
Exports to South Africa increased by 19% to GBP65m.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
"The Future of the Wine Market in Australia to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research....
Business Monitor International's Cameroon Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory ...
Terlato Wines is taking over US distribution of Burgundy producer Domaine Ramonet's portfolio from Diageo's Chateau & Estate unit. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research