EU: Scotch distillers welcome EU body to tackle piracy
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has welcomed the launch of a European Observatory on Counterfeiting and Piracy to fight intellectual property criminals faking its members' products.
The new EU institution, launched last week, has been charged with collecting data on counterfeit goods, raising awareness, promoting discussions on the problem and circulating views and best practice in enforcing intellectual property rights between business and national authorities.
An SWA spokesperson told just-drinks: "It is encouraging to see high level awareness of the need to continue to tackle issues around counterfeit and the protection of intellectual property rights."
Scotch is a prime target for counterfeiters and the spokesperson said that, worldwide, the SWA pursues "up to 70 different legal actions at any one time to tackle unfair competition from imitation products".
Within Europe, there are ongoing legal cases in Spain and Italy.
Destocking by drinks distributors has caused a 12% slide in full-year sales at Drambuie, the Scotch whisky liqueur group....
Whyte & Mackay's Jura Prophecy...
Ian Macleod Distillers' Glengoyne 12 Years Old Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky...
The Glenrothes John Ramsay Legacy bottling...
The Dalmore 18 Year Old Scotch Whisky from Whyte & Mackay....
Maxxium UK is to launch a new campaign for its Teacher's Scotch whisky brand in the hope of educating consumers about the quality of blended Scotch....
The Edrington Group has secured a multiple grocer listing in the UK for the Select Reserve variant of its The Glenrothes single malt Scotch whisky brand....
What is the product called? Gold Bowmore...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends