NEW ZEALAND: Scorpions terrorise Hawke's Bay wineries
Arach-attack! Pest-free New Zealand is reeling from an invasion of scorpions that arrived in a shipment of wine bottles from Portugal.Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries agents swept on four Hawke's Bay wineries after the invasion was reported.Wielding spray equipment and high-tech protective clothing the government men have been combing the area for the scorpions.But so far none have been found despite a packer at one of the wineries saying he saw lots of the little blighters in the packing crates.New Zealand has no dangerous animals or insects, unlike neighbouring Australia. Customs officials go to enormous efforts to keep out unwanted pests and bugs.Kiwis joke that it is easier to smuggle cocaine into the country than an apple.But the wineries involved, which have not been named by officials, faced considerable disruption last week as the insecticide was sprayed. Scientists believe that the scorpions, even if they survived the spray, will not last the southern-hemisphere winter.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Edrington names European Travel Retail head
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets