USA: Scheid Vineyards' Pinot Noir Wins Double Gold in State Competition - Also Takes Home 2 Silver; 2 Bronze Awards
The 1998 Monterey vintage received a score of 98 out of 100 points, qualifying it for the special "Best of Class North-Central Coast Appellation" award.
G.M. "Pooch" Pucilowski, Chief Judge and wine consultant, said the Double Gold was awarded because "all four judges chose the Scheid Vineyards Pinot Noir as superior in its class." The wine was one of 110 Pinot Noirs entered in this year's competition.
Scheid Vineyards also took home two silver medals for its 1996 Merlot and 1999 White Riesling. Two bronze medals were awarded to Scheid Vineyards' 1997 Cabernet Sauvignon and 1999 Gewurztraminer.
"We are very pleased that our ultra premium Monterey wines received such distinguished awards," said Al Scheid, chairman of Scheid Vineyards. "These awards reaffirm Monterey County's potential as a competitive, premium wine-producing region."
The 2000 Commercial Wine Competition is presented yearly by the California State Fair. This year the competition, which took place June 23-25 at Cal Expo, included 2,085 wines from over 388 of California's finest wineries in ten regions.
The entries were scored by 11 individual judging panels, each consisting of four judges. Judges participating in the competition were required to pass an examination recognized by the California State Fair. All wines received a numeric score of 1 to 100. Gold medals were presented to those wines receiving 95-100 points, silver 90-94 points, and bronze 85-89 points. The special Double Gold medal is presented when all four judges unanimously rate the wine as superior. Only 37 wines received this honor in 2000.
Scheid Vineyards will showcase these and other wines at the 8th Annual Monterey County Winemakers' Celebration, scheduled for Saturday, August 12, 2000 at Custom House Plaza in Monterey. The celebration will continue during an Open House on Sunday, August 13, at Scheid Vineyards' Tasting Room at 1972 Hobson Avenue in Greenfield, just off Highway 101.
For ticket information to the Monterey County Winemakers' Celebration, please call 831-375-9400. Scheid Vineyards' Greenfield Tasting Room can be reached by calling 831-386-0316.
Scheid Vineyards Inc. is a leading independent producer of premium wine grapes and operates approximately 6,000 acres of vineyards, primarily in Monterey County, California. The Company sells most of its grape production under long-term contracts to wineries producing primarily premium quality table wines, and the Company also produces a small amount of ultra premium wine under its own labels.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets