JAPAN: Sapporo to launch new happoshu as beer prices rise
The brand is expected to replace the company’s existing "Fine Lager" happoshu, which has had disappointing sales. It has also been the target of complaints from rival Kirin Brewery, which claims that the Fine Lager label resembles that of Kirin's flagship "Lager Beer."
Brau Honsuguri will sell for Y135 for a 350-milliliter can, and Y185 for a 500-milliliter can.
In related news, the Japanese press reported that beer consumers in the country can expect the prices of beer and "happoshu" beer-like low-molt beverage to rise about Y4 per 350-milliliter can at Japanese retail stores from September.
The prices will rise as Japan's four major breweries are set to abolish kickbacks they pay to retailers, including supermarkets, at the end of August, the reports said.
Companies: Sapporo Holdings
Sapporo Breweries has said it aims to almost triple operating profit within three years....
Falling sales of traditional beers and increased competition in the "third beer" category have seen Sapporo Holdings report a 22% fall in 2005 net profits....
Sapporo Holdings has lowered its full-year profit forecast....
Sapporo Breweries has reportedly become the first major Japanese beer maker to warn of flat domestic beer sales this year....
Sapporo Breweries is poised to buy Kikkoman Corp.'s spirits sales and production operations....
Sapporo Breweries has said that sales its of so-called "third category" beer would fall by 30% if the government goes ahead with plans to raise the tax rate on the product....
Sapporo Holdings has registered a massive drop in operating profit for the first nine months of this year....
Sapporo Breweries has raised its sales targets for its low-alcoholic fruit drink brand "Fruit Sparkling"....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Stock Spirits, Distell add UK to partnership
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts