JAPAN: Sapporo to launch new happoshu as beer prices rise
The brand is expected to replace the company’s existing "Fine Lager" happoshu, which has had disappointing sales. It has also been the target of complaints from rival Kirin Brewery, which claims that the Fine Lager label resembles that of Kirin's flagship "Lager Beer."
Brau Honsuguri will sell for Y135 for a 350-milliliter can, and Y185 for a 500-milliliter can.
In related news, the Japanese press reported that beer consumers in the country can expect the prices of beer and "happoshu" beer-like low-molt beverage to rise about Y4 per 350-milliliter can at Japanese retail stores from September.
The prices will rise as Japan's four major breweries are set to abolish kickbacks they pay to retailers, including supermarkets, at the end of August, the reports said.
Companies: Sapporo Holdings
Sapporo Breweries has said it aims to almost triple operating profit within three years....
Falling sales of traditional beers and increased competition in the "third beer" category have seen Sapporo Holdings report a 22% fall in 2005 net profits....
Sapporo Holdings has lowered its full-year profit forecast....
Sapporo Breweries has reportedly become the first major Japanese beer maker to warn of flat domestic beer sales this year....
Sapporo Breweries is poised to buy Kikkoman Corp.'s spirits sales and production operations....
Sapporo Breweries has said that sales its of so-called "third category" beer would fall by 30% if the government goes ahead with plans to raise the tax rate on the product....
Sapporo Holdings has registered a massive drop in operating profit for the first nine months of this year....
Sapporo Breweries has raised its sales targets for its low-alcoholic fruit drink brand "Fruit Sparkling"....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends