JAPAN: Sapporo sounds warning on beer sales
Sapporo Breweries has reportedly become the first major Japanese beer maker to warn of flat domestic beer sales this year.
Earlier this week, rival brewers Asahi, Kirin and Suntory all forecast rising beer sales, despite a sluggish Japanese beer market.
However, according to local reports, Sapporo said today (13 January) that it expects its domestic beer sales in volume terms to be flat at 71.1m cases in 2006. Sapporo has forecast that the overall beer market in Japan will shrink 2% on year in 2006.
Nevertheless, Sapporo, Japan's third-largest beer maker, is betting that its beer-flavoured drinks will drive sales and outperform the rest of the industry. Sapporo, which started Japan's so-called "third beer" segment two years ago with the launch of Draft One, expects the segment to continue to grow, despite an imminent tax hike on "third beer" products.
In May, the Japanese government is set to increase the tax on "third beer products" by JPY3.80 per 350ml can. Nevertheless, Sapporo has forecast a 19% leap in sales of its third-beer products, offsetting its prediction of a 2% fall in regular beer sales.
Spirits company Blavod Extreme Spirits and the Japanese drinks group Suntory recently announced the formation of a joint venture to develop and market new spirits brands. Chris Brook-Carter spoke with...
Sapporo Breweries has raised its sales targets for its low-alcoholic fruit drink brand "Fruit Sparkling"....
Suntory International Corp. is to release three types of shochu in the US....
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Blavod Extreme Spirits has agreed to form a joint venture company with Suntory International Corp, the US subsidiary of Suntory Limited. ...
Sapporo Holdings Ltd has reported a consolidated pretax loss for the half ended in June....
Suntory Ltd is to suspend sales of its Bubbleman Soda Jet soft drink....
The Japanese brewer, Sapporo Breweries Ltd., is to launch a new range of low-alcohol drinks in the autumn under the brand name, Fruit Sparking....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends