JAPAN: Sapporo sees domestic sales fall
Sapporo Breweries has posted its third consecutive yearly decline in volume sales of beer and beer-like products.
The Japanese company said yesterday (9 January), that domestic beer and beer-like sales dropped 3.6% to 61.5m cases last year compared to the same time the previous year.
The dip in sales was blamed partly on Japan's declining population.
Local reports this week cited Sapporo president Masaru Fukunaga as saying: "Beer sales have nowhere to go but down. We have to further shift emphasis to quality from quantity. We need to develop new products, for which consumers wouldn't mind paying high prices."
Looking forward, the company has projected that regular beer sales will climb 5.4% to 39.2m cases in 2008, based on the prediction that its Yebisu brand will see a 10% jump in sales. Total sales are forecast to decline, however, due to planned price hikes in April.
Asahi Breweries is to hike its wine prices by 3-20% as a result of increased procurement costs, according to reports....
Sapporo Breweries said that it will raise the prices of 33 wine products made in Japan by between 11 and 14%, according to local reports....
Sapporo Breweries Ltd. said that it will print on beer cans the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted through its production and distribution processes, according to local reports....
A Japanese brewery said it is planning the first "space beer," using offspring of barley once stored at the International Space Station, according to reports today (27 May)....
Beer shipment by Japan's five largest brewers fell 11.3% to a combined 245,666 kilolitres in April from a year earlier, due to price hikes by brewery giant Asahi....
In a move that Steel Partners Japan Strategic Fund (SPJSF) has described as "exceptional and unnecessary", Sapporo Holdings has once more delayed giving the offshore investor a response to its express...
Kirin Holdings and Sapporo Holdings are looking to merge their beer distribution in the north of Japan, according to local reports....
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like products in Japan registered a fall in the first three months of 2008, according to recent figures....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets