CANADA: Sapporo secures control of Sleeman
Japanese brewer Sapporo has secured a 95.8% stake in Canada's Sleeman Breweries after making an offer for the company's shares.
Sapporo struck a deal to buy Sleeman, Canada's third-largest brewer, in August in a takeover worth around C$300m (US$263.3m).
Sapporo saw its C$17.50 a share offer accepted by almost all Sleeman shareholders and said it would snap up the remaining shares by next month.
Sleeman was bought after seeing growing Canadian demand for discounted beers and imported brews hit profits. The company already brewed a number of brands, including those from Sapporo, under licence for the Canadian market.
Sapporo was one of four brewers said to be interested in buying Sleeman, which in May started looking at the future of the business. Canada's top two brewers, Molson and Labatt, as well as Dutch brewer Grolsch were also rumoured to be interested in buying Sleeman.
A survey of the top brewers in Japan has shown total beer and quasi-beer shipments were flat in the first three months of this year....
Goldman Sachs has begun coverage of Dutch brewer Royal Grolsch....
Shareholders in Sapporo Holdings have approved the Japanese company's anti-takeover measures, according to local reports....
Sapporo Holdings has reportedly repeated its belief that its plan for fresh takeover defence measures will not erode shareholder value....
US private equity firm Steel Partners is lobbying Sapporo Holdings shareholders to reject a proposed 'advance warning system' against potential takeover bids for the Japanese company....
Sapporo Holdings has reportedly asked US private equity firm Steel Partners for more information on its potential takeover bid for the Japanese brewer....
Canadian beer maker Brick Brewing Co. is to play on its status as a domestically owned brewer when it unveils its latest marketing campaign....
Dutch brewer Grolsch saw sales and earnings inch up last year, the company reported today (20 February)....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research