CANADA: Sapporo gets Sleeman nod
Sapporo has been given the green light by Canada's authorities to acquire Sleeman Breweries.
The Japanese company, which already sees Sleeman brew its brands for the Canadian market, was given the go-ahead by Canada's Ministry of Industry yesterday (10 October). Sapporo agreed to buy Sleeman in August in a deal worth around C$400m (US$355.4m).
The deal is set to expire next Tuesday (17 October).
Sapporo was one of four brewers said to be interested in buying Sleeman, which in May started looking at the future of the business. Canada's top two brewers, Molson and Labatt, as well as Dutch brewer Grolsch were also rumoured to be interested in buying Sleeman.
Goldman Sachs has begun coverage of Dutch brewer Royal Grolsch....
Shareholders in Sapporo Holdings have approved the Japanese company's anti-takeover measures, according to local reports....
Sapporo Holdings has reportedly repeated its belief that its plan for fresh takeover defence measures will not erode shareholder value....
US private equity firm Steel Partners is lobbying Sapporo Holdings shareholders to reject a proposed 'advance warning system' against potential takeover bids for the Japanese company....
Sapporo Holdings has reportedly asked US private equity firm Steel Partners for more information on its potential takeover bid for the Japanese brewer....
Canadian beer maker Brick Brewing Co. is to play on its status as a domestically owned brewer when it unveils its latest marketing campaign....
Dutch brewer Grolsch saw sales and earnings inch up last year, the company reported today (20 February)....
Japan's Sapporo Holdings is reportedly mulling an effective takeover bid from US hedge fund Steel Partners Japan....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery